≡ Menu

Lost Wages

If you have been injured in a car accident, you are entitled to be reimbursed for:

  • Actual lost wages due to missed work because the doctor tells you not to work
  • Time lost for medical appointments, including travel time
  • Used vacation or sick leave due to injury or appointments
  • Missed income opportunities due to injury
  • Decrease in earning potential if you are self-employed
  • Any other income or benefits you lost due to being put out of work by the doctor or due to the wreck

To receive these reimbursements, a doctor must place you out of work for a specified period of time.

  1. Do not get your employer to document your lost wages until you know that you will not miss any further work due to being placed out of work or because of medical appointments.
  2. Obtain a lost wage affidavit from your employer to prove your claim. The statement must clearly state what dates you missed, what the dollar amount was you earned per hour or annually; and, what was the actual amount lost.
  3. If you used vacation or sick leave, the statement must state you used these benefits in lieu of actual lost income. You are entitled to be reimbursed for using vacation or sick leave.
  4. Get a written “out of work slip” from your doctor and give a copy to your employer.
  5. Look for other sources of income or support to help get you through rough times. Don’t be shy about asking for help from family or friends or through community agencies. The insurance company is betting you will get scared, go back to work and try to settle your claim prematurely and for less money.

<< Back to Accident & Injury