≡ Menu

If I no longer work for the company, can I go back to the doctor for a follow-up?

The short answer…it depends.  It really doesn’t depend so much on whether you are still employed with the company.  While the goal of workers compensation is to get the injured worker back to work if at all possible, a claimant may still receive care if they are no longer employed with the company where they were injured.  It does, however, depend on is the status of your workers’ compensation claim as to whether you can return to your doctor for follow up care.  If your claim has been denied, then you can go back to your doctor for a follow up appointment, but your workers’ compensation carrier will not pay for this treatment because the claim has been denied.

Generally, you may be able to return to your doctor for a follow up even if you no longer work for the company unless (1) you have settled your claim and signed a compromise settlement agreement, or (2) more than 2 years have passed since the last furnishing of treatment.

Typically, if you settle your claim by signing a compromise settlement agreement or”clincher” then chances are you have waived your rights to further medical treatment.  In that case, you will not be able to obtain any additional medical treatment related to your workers’ comp claim.  If you have settled your claim on a  Form 21 or Form 26, you make still have left the medicals portion of your claim open so that you can obtain future medical treatment.  A word of caution regarding additional medical treatment following a settlement of your claim.  If you are in need of additional medical treatment then you should get it sooner rather than later as the limitations for review of award is 2 years from the last furnishing of treatment.  If you wait longer than that, you may not be entitled to additional treatment.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment